Marten V6 is Out! And the road to Wolverine 1.0

Marten 6.0 came out last week. Rather than describe that, just take a look at Oskar’s killer release notes write up on GitHub for V6. This also includes some updates to the Marten documentation website. Oskar led the charge on this release, so big thanks are due to him — in no small part by allowing me to focus on Wolverine by taking the brunt of the “Critter Stack” Discord rooms. The healthiness of the Marten community shows up with a slew of new contributors in this release.

With Marten 6.0 out, it’s on to finally getting to Wolverine 1.0:

Wolverine has lingered for way, way too long for my taste in a pre-1.0 status, but it’s getting closer. A couple weeks ago I felt like Wolverine 1.0 was very close as soon as the documentation was updated, but then I kept hearing repeated feedback about how early adopters want or need first class database multi-tenancy support as part of their Wolverine + Marten experience — and lesser number wanting some sort of EF Core + Wolverine multi-tenancy, but I’m going to put that aside just for now.

Cool, so I started jotting down what first class support for multi-tenancy through multiple databases was going to entail:

  • Some way to communicate the message tenant information through to Wolverine with message metadata. Easy money, that didn’t take much.
  • A little bit of change to the Marten transactional middleware in Wolverine to be tenant aware. Cool, that’s pretty small. Especially after a last minute change I made in Marten 6.0 specifically to support Wolverine.
  • Uh, oh, the durable inbox/outbox support in Wolverine will require specific table storage in every single tenant database, and you’d probably also want an “any tenant” master database as well for transactions that aren’t for a specific tenant. Right off the bat, this is much more complex than the other bullet points above. Wolverine could try to stretch its current “durability agent” strategy for multiple databases, but it’s a little too greedy on database connection usage and I was getting some feedback from potential users who were concerned by exactly that issue. At that point, I thought it would be helpful to reduce the connection usage, which…
  • Led me to wanting an approach where only one running node was processing the inbox/outbox recovery instead of each node hammering the database with advisory locks to figure out if anything needed to be recovered from previous nodes that shut down before finishing their work. Which now led me to wanting…
  • Some kind of leadership election in Wolverine, which now means that Wolverine needs durable storage for all the active nodes and the assignments to each node — which is functionality I wanted to build out soon regardless for Marten’s “async projection” scalability.

So to get the big leadership election, durability agent assignment across nodes, and finally back to the multi-tenancy support in Wolverine, I’ve got a bit of work to get through. It’s going well so far, but it’s time consuming because of the sheer number of details and the necessity of rigorously testing bitwise before trying to put it all together end to end.

There are a few other loose ends for Wolverine 1.0, but the work described up above is the main battle right now before Wolverine efforts shift to documentation and finally a formal 1.0 release. Famous last words of a fool, but I’m hoping to roll out Wolverine 1.0 right now during the NDC Oslo conference in a couple weeks.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s